Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the County of Los Angeles Public Library, Malibu Branch, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors and notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Past notable speakers in the Library Speaker Series include: Best-selling author Jeannette Walls; famed civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred; climate change champion and author Bill McKibben; prolific comedy writer and director Tom Shadyac; author of the best-selling novel "Eat, Pray, Love" Elizabeth Gilbert; and award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey.
Next speaker: annie leonard, executive director of greenpeace USA
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
7:00 PM - Malibu City Hall, Civic Theater
The next featured speaker is Annie Leonard, Executive Director of Greenpeace USA and author of "The Story of Stuff." Annie began her career at Greenpeace in 1988 and has helped inspire and mobilize millions of people to take action to create a more sustainable future. She has dedicated her work to investigating and explaining the environmental and social impacts of modern industrial society’s consumer culture: where all of our stuff comes from and what happens to it after we get rid of it. Her film and bestselling book have created a community of half a million people around the world. She serves on the boards of Wallace Global Fund, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream, Public Citizen, and the Democracy Initiative and has previously served on the boards of the Grassroots Recycling Network, GAIA, the Environmental Health Fund, Global Greengrants India, Greenpeace India, and the International Forum on Globalization. During her tenure at Greenpeace, Leonard was arrested for protesting a business that was exporting hazardous waste to South Africa under the apartheid regime, and dumping it in a black community.
The event is free, but RSVPs are required. RSVP online or call 310-456-6438.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author