Small Business Grant Program
The City of Malibu's Small Business Grant (SBG) Program will provide grant funding to eligible local businesses that have been economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and create or retain a job for a low- and moderate-income worker.
On August 10, 2020, the Malibu City Council allocated $80,000 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding for the Small Business Grant (SBG) Program. The SBG Program will be administered by the Los Angeles Community Development Authority (LACDA).
The City's SBG Program is available to local businesses that have been economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The City, in conjunction with LACDA, is offering grants up to $10,000 to businesses that create or retain a job for a low- and moderate-income worker.
Small businesses impacted by COVID-19 must be located in the Malibu city limits, have fewer than 500 employees, and are one of the following business types:
- Restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, cafés, gastropubs, etc.
- Salons, barbers, and other grooming businesses
- Gyms, day spas, and fitness studios
- Retail and Commercial stores such as consumer goods, electronics and appliances, health and sporting goods, furniture, clothing and shoes, kitchen equipment, books and entertainment stores, music and audio/visual equipment, etc.
The following additional criteria is also required:
- Create or retain a job for a low- and moderate-income worker
- Active business license in Malibu (issued by the County of Los Angeles)
- No unresolved City, municipal, or health code violations
- Business in continuous operation in Malibu for at least two years
View or download a list of ineligible businesses.
Use of Grant Funds
Grant funds can be used for operational business expenses, such as:
- Employee payroll
- Working capital to continue operations
- Payment of outstanding business expenses
- Adaptive practices needed to remain open (i.e., equipment and supplies for physical distancing)
JOB CREATION/RETENTION REQUIREMENTS
How to Participate
Businesses must submit an intake form during the five-day open application period (August 24-28, 2020). After the application period closes, a lottery will be conducted and selected businesses will be requested to complete an application. LACDA will work with the selected businesses on behalf of the City of Malibu to complete the application form, execute an agreement, and provide the grant funds directly to the business owner(s).
|Due Dates||Program Activities|
|August 24-28, 2020||Open intake period for eligible businesses|
|September 2, 2020||Lottery to select the number of eligible businesses that the SBG Program can fund|
|September 2-18, 2020||Selected businesses complete full applications and grant agreements|
|September-October 2020||LACDA issues grant checks to businesses|