Santa Monica College - Malibu Campus Project
The project has received City approvals and is currently undergoing the building permitting process with the California Division of State Architects. The site is under construction. The campus is expected to open school year 2022.
The Santa Monica Community College District is proposing a Santa Monica College (SMC) Malibu Campus located at 23555 Civic Center Way in Malibu, in the former Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Station. The proposed project will include the demolition of the existing building and the construction of a new, 2-story, above-grade, approximately 27,500 square foot educational facility, including an approximately 5,700 square foot Sheriff’s substation and Emergency Operations and Planning Center on the ground floor.
The SMC Malibu Campus also proposes an interpretive center to support Legacy Park or other programs to highlight Malibu’s unique coastal environmental and cultural history. The project will also include ancillary improvements within the project site associated with pedestrian and vehicular access, surface parking, open space, landscaping improvements and relocation of onsite utilities.
Consistent with the City’s policy for Environmental Health Review of Development Projects within the Civic Center Prohibition Area, the proposed project plans to connect to the existing onsite wastewater treatment system currently serving the Los Angeles County Civic Center complex. The project proposes to connect to the City of Malibu’s planned wastewater treatment facility for the Civic Center area when it becomes operational.
- Santa Monica College - Malibu Campus Project website
- Project Plans - February 2016
- Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR) - certified by the SMC Board of Trustees on January 13, 2016
- February 29, 2016 Planning Commission Agenda Report
- Planning Commission Resolution No. 16-30 and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program
- April 11, 2016 City Council Agenda Report
- City Council Resolution No. 16-13
- City’s Notice of Final Local Action
- California Coastal Commission Appeal Report - No Substantial Issue Found