Coastal Vulnerability Assessment
The City is in the process of completing a Coastal Vulnerability Assessment to gain more information on sea level rise. This assessment will determine the vulnerability and the projected impacts of sea-level rise in Malibu for the short-term, mid-term, and long-term. Developing a better understanding of what is at risk and identifying potential solutions represents a proactive approach that will help the City and community plan for coastal impacts from sea-level rise.
The City is seeking community input for the discussion of sea-level rise at public workshops:
- Coastal Vulnerability Public Workshop No. 1 - April 30, 2020 event CANCELLED due to the COVID-19 pandemic; will be rescheduled
- Coastal Vulnerability Public Workshop No. 2 - event is CANCELLED until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic
View local erosion and flooding hazards. Users can turn on and off layers to access several types of data.
- October 2019 - City’s Coastal Vulnerability Assessment project begins
- Fall 2020 - Coastal Vulnerability Assessment anticipated complete
Malibu Living Shoreline
The City has partnered with The Bay Foundation and Los Angeles County Department of Beaches & Harbors (LACBH) on the Malibu Living Shoreline Project.
The Project will restore three acres of sandy beach and dune habitat at Zuma and Point Dume County Beaches, providing a cost-effective and low-impact solution to increase the resiliency of the beaches’ shorelines.
- Increase the resiliency of the shoreline through the restoration of sandy beach and foredune habitat
- Implement landscape protection measures against sea level rise and coastal storms
- Increase engagement of the community through enhanced beach experiences, outreach, and education
- Regional AdaptLA - Coastal lmpacts Planning in the Los Angeles Region Southern California Coastal lmpacts Project (2017)
- Los Angeles County Public Beach Facilities Sea-Level Rise Vulnerability Assessment (2016)
- Coastal Storm Modeling System (CoSMoS) 3.0
- California Coastal Commission Sea Level Rise Policy Guidance (2018)
- State of California Sea Level Rise Guidance (2018)
- Safeguarding California Plan: Safeguarding California and Climate Change Adaptation Policy (2018)