This fun, free event is a great opportunity to teach kids about emergency preparedness, and an easy way for families to get started on making their emergency plans. Attendees can take a class, experience a simulated earthquake, stock up on emergency supplies, and chat with local first responders. Companies, government agencies and volunteer groups will have information and demonstration booths and supplies for sale. All visitors will receive a raffle ticket with drawings for many valuable prizes throughout the day, including gift cards from local businesses and earthquake preparedness supplies. The Expo is part of the City’s ongoing efforts to increase public safety and disaster preparedness in the community, and is part of the City’s 2018 Earthquake Resiliency Initiative. The Expo is free and open to all ages. RSVPs are not required, but it is recommended to register in advance for the free classes because space is limited. For more information, email Public Safety Manager Susan Dueñas at SDuenas@malibucity.org.
Classes Offered at the Expo
- Fire Safety
- Crisis First Aid
- Pet Preparedness
- Building a Go Kit
- Active Shooter – Run, Hide, Fight
- Preparedness for Seniors with American Red Cross
- Fire, Earthquake and Flood Insurance 101
Participants 55 and older who complete one of the classes offered at the event will be eligible for a free emergency kit.
VENDORS and demonstrations
- Malibu CERT Team
- "Big Shaker” Earthquake Simulator and earthquake preparedness supplies for purchase
- Safe Moves – Traffic Safety for Kids
- Los Angeles County Fire Department
- Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control Department, Animal Safe Evacuation Trailer
- Arson Watch
- Disaster Communication Services volunteer group
- Corral Canyon Fire Safety Alliance
- More to be announced!