What are the eligibility requirements to run for Malibu City Council?
To hold any elective office within the City of Malibu, a person must be a United States citizen, 18 years of age or older, and be a registered voter of the City of Malibu at the time the nomination paper is issued. The City Clerk will not issue a nomination paper if the candidate is not a registered voter. (California Elections Code ["E.C."] §201.)

If an elected official moves his or her place of residence outside of the City limits or ceases to be an elector of the City during his or her term of office, the office of that elected official shall immediately become vacant. (California Government Code ["G.C."] §36502.)

Show All Answers

1. How do I become a registered voter in Malibu?
2. What are the eligibility requirements to run for Malibu City Council?
3. Is there a filing fee involved for my candidacy?
4. Is there a fee for my candidate's statement?
5. Who can sign my nomination paper?
6. What if some of the signatures I obtain on my nomination paper are not registered voters or do not live within the City limits?
7. Who is responsible for conducting Malibu General Municipal Elections?
8. Where can I obtain information on elections?
9. What happens if I change my mind about running for office after filing the nomination paper?
10. May I change or correct the wording or spelling on my candidate's statement after submission?
11. If I submit a voluntary candidate's statement and I change my mind, may I withdraw the statement?
12. Can someone deliver my nomination paper to the City Clerk for me?
13. How often does the City Council meet?
14. Is the City Council position paid?