This is the preferred site because it is the only site with the following combination of advantages:
• The site has sufficient land area to locate treatment facilities for all Phases of the Prohibition
order. The treatment plant ‘footprint’ for all three phases is approximately 2.5 acres.
• The site overlays the Winter Canyon groundwater basin, which is distinct from the Malibu Valley Groundwater Basin underlying the rest of the Civic Center. This adds needed disposal capacity for the project by allowing some of the fully treated water to be disposed of on the treatment plant site itself, rather than just through recycled water use and deep well injection in the Malibu Valley Groundwater Basin.
• The proposed use is similar to what is existing on the site, but will be state of the art technology, odor-scrubbed, and visually screened.
• The site is located outside the 100-year flood zone, avoiding the cost of flood-proofing the treatment facilities.
• The site has a willing seller.
Other sites were considered including the Wave property, the La Paz Development site, and Legacy Park. However, these sites did not provide the combination of advantages listed above.