The City places a high level of response priority to Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (septic system) overflows and failures. The Pollution Prevention Hotline is the appropriate communication source for the public to provide immediate notification of such events to the City. The hotline is staffed 24/7 with bilingual (English & Spanish) operators to assist callers. Operators will immediately notify appropriate City staff to respond to the incident. Depending upon the type of incident reported, City staff may contact the caller to obtain additional information. All caller information will be kept confidential.
Water Pollution Hotline: 310-359-8003
Examples of prohibited activities include:
• Sewage discharges onto the ground, into storm drains, or surface waters (creeks and oceans)
• Overflowing onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS, also known as septic systems)
• Septic or greywater (soapy water from washing machines or car washing) flowing towards storm drains or surface waters
• Pollution entering storm drains or surface waters
• Contamination to creeks, lagoons, or the ocean
• Dry-weather discharge from pipes
• Dumping into drains and/or surface waters
• Construction site soil or debris entering the streets, storm drains, or surface waters
• Polluted runoff from construction storage or leaking dumpsters
You can also notify the City of suspected violations by filing an Online Pollution Report.