National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month, and the Public Safety Office will host a variety of free events to encourage the public to get prepared for disasters.
Following each event, links to video, if available, as well as any presentations offered, will be listed below for future viewing and reference.
2022 Preparedness Month Events
- Test of Everbridge Disaster Notification System - The City will send a Citywide test message using the Everbridge Disaster Notification system which the City has been using for several years. Residents do not have to register to participate or take any special action prior to the system test. Malibu landline numbers are automatically entered into the system. If you do not receive the test message or would like to update your Everbridge contact information visit the online Everbridge portal or contact the Public Safety Office at PublicSafety@MalibuCity.org.
- Annual Community Fire Season Briefing - All residents, employees, business and organization leaders, students, and other Malibu community members are urged to attend the annual Community Fire Season Briefing. LA County Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Drew Smith, a Fire Behavior Analyst, will give a presentation on local Live Fuel Moisture, expected weather patterns, and what that means for fire conditions in Malibu. The meeting can be viewed live or later on-demand, and questions can be submitted in advance or during the briefing. The meeting video will be made available for the public to view afterward.
Past Preparedness Month Events
Watch videos or view presentations from past Preparedness Month events (presenters listed in parentheses):
- PSPS Training for Seniors and Older Adults (City Staff) - Presentation
- Everbridge Notification System Test
- Home Wildfire Hardening Seminar (City Staff) - Offered twice Video (Meeting 1) or Video (Meeting 2)
- Spanish Language Emergency Preparedness Training (City Staff, Malibu Labor Exchange, Malibu Foundation, and Pepperdine University)
- Firescaping Workshop (Los Angeles County Water Works District 29 and West Basin Municipal Water District)
- Annual Fire Season Briefing (LA County Fire) - Video
- Public Safety Expo