City staff is available by phone, email, or video call to assist with City business. For general department questions, contact staff at 310-456-2489, extension 390 and via email Mbuilding@malibucity.org.
permits & Plan Check
IN-PERSON Permit SERVICES
ONLINE Permit SERVICES
Over-the-Counter Plan Check HOURS
EXPRESS PLAN REVIEW FOR TENANT IMPROVEMENTS
Building Safety staff provides permit services, building plan check, building inspections, onsite wastewater treatment system installation inspections, geotechnical plan review, grading, and drainage plan check. View Applications, Forms, and Fees.
Submit requests for permits (building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, spa/pool, excavation) through the online Building Permit Request Portal.
If you are applying for a reroof or photo voltaic (PV), include the following in the project description:
- Reroof: valuation, square footage, materials to meet class A requirement
- PV: planning project number, size of system, subpanels (y/n), backup power (y/n), valuation
Required Information and Fees
In-Person Payment – All fees are due when applying for a permit; payment by check or VISA and MasterCard is accepted with an additional 2.9% credit card transaction fee. It is recommended that you bring an electronic device, such as a smart phone or tablet, in case staff needs the applicant to transfer files at the time of the visit.
E-Payment by Credit Card – online payments have an additional 2.9% +$0.30 credit card transaction fee; payment by American Express, VISA or MasterCard is accepted. Once you submit through the online portal, staff will contact you with next steps.
Provide the following information: payment; scope of work; the proposed project legal description, street address, or similar description that will readily identify the project; Indicate the use and occupancy for project site; construction documents and other information as required in Section 106 of the 2020 County of Los Angeles Building Code; the valuation of the project.
In Building Plan Check, an Associate Civil Engineer reviews structural/working plans to determine whether they conform to the Building Code.
PLAN CHECK SERVICES: SUBMITTAL, RESUBMITTAL, REVISION, OR ADDENDUM
Submit projects for plan check through the online Building Permit Request Portal. These projects must have Planning approval. Be sure to include “plan check” in the Project Description. Once the application has been processed, an invoice will be emailed for E-Payment by credit card. After submittal, staff will contact the applicant for additional information and documents.
- New Plan Check Submittal - Plan Check Worksheet (not required for Solar/PV, Battery Backup or Generator)
- Architectural modification or revision - Applicant should contact the Planner of record prior to submitting for building plan check. The delta worksheet must be completed as part of a plan check submittal.
- Structural revision or addendum only - The delta worksheet must be completed as part of a plan check submittal.
- Planning approved (if applicable) - Applicant must submit Architectural/Structural Plans, structural calculations, and energy analysis.
Plan Check Process
- Submit your request for Plan Check review through the online portal.
- A Permit Technician will review your request and may contact you for clarification of the submittal request.
- After the scope of work has been determined, the project fees will be calculated, and a payment request will be sent to Payor indicated on the online request.
- Upon submittal, staff will route the plans and documents to Building Safety Plans Examiner and City departments.
- The Applicant will be responsible for submitting to any outside agencies, such as Los Angeles County Fire Department, Los Angeles County Water District 29, and Los Angeles County Health Department (Commercial Tenant Improvements).
- After the 1st Building Safety submittal, you may be provided with corrections to be addressed with the resubmittal. Contact Building Safety or individual departments for anticipated review time. City departments that may review (depending on scope of work) include: Geology, Environmental Health, Public Works, Coastal Engineering, and Planning.
- Staff will contact the Applicant when each round of review is complete with corrections or approval and provide direction for resubmittal or next steps in approval process.
CALGreen and the City requires Construction and Demolition (C&D) project managers to recycle or reuse a minimum 65% of the waste generated. Download the C&D Debris Recycling Packet to get started. At the end of your project, complete a Recycling Report. Owner/Builders and Project Managers must provide haul tickets and diversion information.
- Applications, Forms, and Fees
- Builders Recycling Resource List
- Material Conversion Worksheet
- Carpet Reclamation
- PaintCare Program
Your project manager/builder and City permitted hauler should be informed of C&D reporting requirements. Any hauler not on the permitted hauler list is working in Malibu illegally and will be referred to Code Enforcement.
Assembly Bill (AB) 3002
Effective Jan 1, 2019, AB 3002 requires cities to provide information to applicants on disability access requirements and resources. The Notice to Applicants for Commercial Building Permits is also available in Spanish, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Korean, as required by the bill.
Applicants for commercial building permits are encouraged to take advantage of California access specialists (CASp) inspection services, state and federal programs for assistance with access compliance and access expenditures, federal and state legal requirements on accessibility for individuals with disabilities.