Sea View Hotel
Updated 9/14/23 - On September 8, 2023, the California Coastal Commission (CCC) Executive Director reported on certification of Local Coastal Program Amendment (LCPA) No. 16-006. The LCPA became effective on September 8, 2023. Prior to this step, on July 10, 2023, City Council adopted Ordinance No. 508, which adopted the CCC’s suggested modifications to the LCPA and supersedes Ordinance No. 491. In addition, to make the Malibu Municipal Code consistent with the LCPA, on August 28, 2023, the City Council held a hearing and introduced on first reading Ordinance No. 509, which adopts corollary amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and City Zoning Map. On September 11, 2023, the City Council will hold a second reading of Ordinance No. 509.
Note: In addition, since the approval of the entitlements are dependent on the code amendments, the City will file a Notice of Final Local Action on the entitlements to the CCC once all amendments are effective and certified. At which point, the project will be appealable to the CCC.
Updated 9/15/21 - The Sea View Hotel Project (Project) is a proposed +/- 39 room hotel development with associated amenities, including a spa, restaurant, private decks, and a rooftop deck with a pool, proposed on a 51,776 square foot (1.19 acre) project site. The project site is located on Pacific Coast Highway, near the Malibu Pier, and is comprised of three adjacent commercially developed parcels (or two legal lots), 22729 and 22741 Pacific Coast Hwy. The project would redevelop and replace the existing development and uses on the project site with the hotel development and use.
The existing zoning for the Project site is designated Community Commercial (CC) by both the General Plan, Malibu Municipal Code, and Malibu Local Coastal Program. The proposed hotel use is not a permitted use in the CC zone. Therefore, a change in the land use designation and zoning to Commercial Visitor Serving (CV) and Commercial Visitor Serving-2 (CV-2), respectively, and a new Sea View Hotel Overlay District are included in the project description. The applicant is requesting various amendments to the General Plan, Malibu Municipal Code Title 17 (Zoning), and Local Coastal Program.
For a detailed project description and a full list of entitlements required, view the Project Description.
- Ordinance No. 509 Introduced on First Reading, corollary amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and City Zoning Map
- Adopted Coastal Commission's Suggested Modifications (Ordinance No. 508)
- Coastal Commission's Suggested Modifications to City Ordinance No. 491
- Adopted Project Entitlements and Adoption of Mitigated Negative Declaration (Resolution No. 21-45)
- Adopted Amendment to General Plan (Resolution No. 21-46)
- Adopted Code Amendments (Ordinance No. 491) (Superseded by Ordinance Nos. 508 and 509)
- (revised 7/16/21)
- September 11, 2023 City Council - Second Reading of Ordinance No. 509
- September 8, 2023 California Coastal Commission Executive Director's Report on the certification of Local Coastal Program Amendment No. 16-006, Item No. F7
- August 28, 2023 City Council - Staff Report
- July 10, 2023 City Council - Staff Report
- June 26, 2023 City Council - Staff Report
- April 24 City Council - Staff Report
- February 8, 2023 California Coastal Commission Staff Report
- September 27 City Council Staff Report
- September 13, 2021 City Council Staff Report & Supplemental Report, City Council Actions
- August 19, 2021 City Council Staff Report
- August 9, 2021 City Council Staff Report (Item 4C)
- June 30, 2021 Planning Commission Meeting, Meeting Actions
- March 31, 2021 - Environmental Review Board Staff Report (Recommendations)
CEQA - ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW
REQUEST TO REVIEW RECORDS
Anyone interested in reviewing records for this project may submit a request using the City's online public records portal - NextRequest. You will be prompted to set up your account and then submit your request.