Planning Department update
We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during the current COVID-19 situation.
The Planning Department is continuing to provide services, although the means of providing them has changed and there may be delays on some things. The declared emergency is an evolving situation and as a result the Planning Department is working to adapt to this situation. Please check this web page regularly for updates on planning services.
Planning Department staff is working on alternative solutions to continue providing counter services and accepting new applications. Once these solutions are in place, information will be posted here.
Announcements as of March 27, 2020
• General Inquiries - To contact planning staff for general inquiries, call (310) 456-2489, extension 485 and leave a message with your contact information. Additionally, you can also email inquiries to email@example.com. Staff is checking and responding to messages throughout the day during regular business hours.
• New Hours - All Planning staff are currently working Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. All Case Planners are working remotely on existing applications. You may email your Case Planner directly (staff directory). Your case planner will return your message by phone or email.
• Fire Rebuilds - Staff continues to process fire rebuild projects.Contact Aundrea Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-456-2489, ext. 379 to submit your planning application. You may also submit your Woolsey Fire fee waiver request and refunds to Aundrea Cruz.
• Application Submittals - Staff is working on options for electronic and paper submittal of your new applications.Check back regularly for more information and details regarding the changes to our process.
• Planning Actions & Notices - Beginning Monday, March 30, 2020, staff will resume issuing Planning Director approvals (such as administrative plan reviews) for existing applications using an electronic format and mailing out associated notices.
• Appeals - Staff has modified the appeal submittal process for Planning Department and Commission approvals as a result of the current social distancing protocols. Refer to the Appeals section below for more information.
• Recorded Documents - Staff is currently able to process the recording of documents electronically. Contact your assigned Case Planner for more information.
• Planning Commission - At this time, the City expects to hold the April 6, 2020 Planning Commission meeting virtually by teleconference. As the details for this process are finalized, they will be posted on the website and procedures added to the meeting agenda.
Planning Department FAQs during COVID-19 City Hall closure:
How do I file an Appeal of a Planning Director or Planning Commission action?
A decision of the Planning Director or Planning Commission may be appealed by an aggrieved person by written statement setting forth the grounds for appeal. An appeal shall be filed with the City Clerk within ten days following the date of action (15 days for tentative maps) for which the appeal is made and shall be accompanied by an appeal form and filing fee, as specified by the City Council. Appeals should be emailed to email@example.com and the filing fee mailed to: Malibu Planning Department, Attn: Patricia Salazar, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. Payment must be received within 10 days of the appeal deadline. Appeal forms are available at malibucity.org/planningforms. If you are unable to submit your appeal online, contact Patricia Salazar at 310-456-2489,, ext. 245 at least two business days before your appeal deadline to arrange alternative delivery of the appeal.
How do I file a Time Extension Request for a Planning Approval?
A time extension request must be timely received by the Planning Department either by mail or in person prior to the expiration date listed on the Planning Director Notice of Decision or Planning Commission Resolution. Email your Time Extension Request to firstname.lastname@example.org and mail the filing fee, of $506.00 to: Malibu Planning Department, Attn: Patricia Salazar, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. Payment must be received within 10 days of expiration date. Appeal forms are online at malibucity.org/planningforms. If you are unable to submit your appeal online, contact Patricia Salazar at 310-456-2489, ext. 245, at least two business days before your expiration date to arrange alternative delivery of the extension request.
I received a public notice mailer. How do I submit my comments?
You may contact the Case Planner listed on the notice directly via email or call 310- 456-2489, ext. 485, and a planner will return your call.
How do I submit comments or participate in an upcoming Planning Commission meeting?
Written comments may be submitted electronically to PlanningCommission@malibucity.org before the meeting begins.
To participate in an upcoming Planning Commission meeting, check the posted meeting agenda. The public may also participate telephonically to provide oral comments; information regarding participating telephonically or electronically will be posted on the meeting agenda at MalibuCity.org/AgendaCenter. Each speaker is limited to three minutes. For the April 6, 2020 Planning Commission meeting, additional details about participation are still being worked out and will be posted as soon as they are available.