Public Counter hOurs
The Planning Department public counter is open for general services from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Woolsey Fire Rebuild counter hours are from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Tuesday and Thursday. The City contract biologist counter hours are from 9:00 AM to 11:00 am on Tuesday.
General Inquiries & Questions - Email email@example.com
NEW Planning submittal process
Planning applications and revised plans and documents for an existing application can now be submitted online:
The Planning Online Submittal Portal allows applicants to:
- Request a Submittal Checklist and Fees for New and Revised Submittals and Submit a Pre-Submittal Questionnaire, if needed
- Request to Submit a New Planning Application
- Request to Submit Revised Plans and Documents for an Existing Application (See new protocol below.)
- Request a Substantial Conformance Review (See new protocol below.)
Once your request is received, staff will provide you a submission link to upload documents.
The New Planning Submittal Guide is a step-by-step guide on what you can expect in the e-submittal process.
The deadline to apply for rebuild Option 4 is June 30, 2023, based on City Council direction on July 11, 2022.
Your feedback is important to us! Feedback for this new submission process can be submitted here.
The Planning Department is implementing a new protocol to streamline the routing of revised plans and documents to City Departments. For applications submitted in 2023, applicants will only be able to re-submit revised plans or documents once all Departments have reviewed the project, including the Planning Department. This new protocol will reduce the amount of unnecessary reviews conducted by each Department and may save applicants fees and time.
Substantial Conformance Request Protocol
The Planning Department is implementing a new protocol to streamline the routing of substantial conformance requests. This is only applicable for applications previously approved. Before initiating your request through the Online Portal, please contact your Case Planner directly. Your Case Planner will determine if your request can be processed as a substantial conformance request based on preliminary information. If you do not know the name of your Case Planner or no longer have an active Case Planner assigned to your project, please email, firstname.lastname@example.org. If your request is submitted via the Online Portal prior to the Case Planner's authorization, it will be rejected.
In-Person Submittal Required*
- Short-Term Rental Appeal
- Appeal of Coastal Development Permit (CDP)
- Appeal of Non-CDP
- Request to Review Administrative Plan Review
- Special Event Permit
- Temporary Use Permit (TUP)
*May be submitted during regular City Hall hours. No appointment required.
Optional In-Person Submittal during Counter Hours
- Archaeology Clearance
- Generator Permit
- Home Occupation Permit
- Planning Clearance
- Primary View Determination
- Outdoor Lighting Review (Dark Sky compliance)
- Sign Permit
- Solar Permit
- Temporary Housing Permit
- Time Extension
- Tobacco Retailer Registration
- Vehicle Impact Protection Device
Express Plan Review
Photovoltaic System (Solar) and Generator Planning Reviews
Applicants are encouraged to visit the Planning public counter on Mondays and Wednesdays to receive a same-day review for proposed photovoltaic systems (solar) or generators. No appointment is required. These permit applications require a Planning approval prior to proceeding to Building Plan Check.
General Requirements - Uniform Application, two (2) sets of plans or 1 digital set on a USB, and review the Photovoltaic System Plan Check Guide or Generator Plan Check Guide for additional requirements. Payment: Over-the-Counter fee $190.00.
Express Tenant Improvement Plan Check
Express Tenant Improvement Plan Check appointments are available on Wednesdays only. Appointments will be conducted at City Hall. After your appointment request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for the appointment.
The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant is more than 10 minutes late. The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant fails to bring any of the required documents:
Plan Check Submittal Review
One set of Architectural and Structural Drawings (prior to electronic submittal)
View the Express Plan Review Process for details.
*A Planning Clearance and tenant improvement may be processed concurrently during the appointment.
WIRELESS APPLICATIONS - APPOINTMENTS REQUIRED
To submit a wireless applications, follow the steps below:
- Email email@example.com a set of project plans with a detailed scope of work. Once received, a staff member will provide you a submittal checklist outlining the application materials and fees required.
- Once you are ready to submit, schedule an in-person or virtual appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments are held on Mondays and Tuesdays at 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM.
- After you request an appointment via email, you will be asked to share a link with the attached submittal checklist and any required documents on that checklist, saved as separate PDF files.
- Appointment - During the appointment, a staff member will evaluate if all your application submittal is complete. If it is determined complete, payment options will be provided to you. (See Payment information section below.)
To make a payment in person by cash, check, or credit card, visit the public counter between the hours of 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
E-Payment by Credit Card
To pay Planning, Biology, or Code Enforcement fees online by credit card, email email@example.com.
Payment by Check
Mail checks along with the statement provided by staff to: City of Malibu, Planning Department, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu CA 90265.