Depending on the type of event, where it will be held, the number of guests/participants, or other factors, a permit from the City may be required.
What type of event permit do I need?
- If you are planning to have a party in a residential zone, you may need a Special Event Permit.
- If you are planning to have an event in a non-residential zone, you may need a Temporary Use Permit
- If any portion of your event is on a public roadway, you may need an Encroachment Permit for a Special Event on Public Propertyfrom the City’s Public Works Department
- Review the Requirements for Recycling and Disposal Plan and post-event report
- Public Beaches - If you would like to have an event on a public beach (e.g., Zuma Beach, Point Dume Beach, Surfrider Beach), you will not require a permit from the City of Malibu. Instead, contact the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors at 424-526-7880.
How do I know if an event is permitted?
Weekly, the City posts the Event Permit Report, which lists permitted and pending event permit applications.
Should you have a concern regarding an event, during regular business hours, contact the Planning Department at 310-456-2489, ext. 233 or ext. 485. For assistance after hours or on weekends, contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at 310-456-6652 or 818-878-1808.
Sign Up for E-notifications
To sign up to receive an e-notification email or text message when an updated Event Permit Report is posted on the City website, visit subscribe for e-notifications and select the Special Event Permit Report category.