COVID19 UPDATE - Due to the Governor’s Executive Orders and the County of Los Angeles Public Health Officer’s Order, at this time, the Planning Department is not accepting applications for event permits. However, if you feel that your event complies with the Order, please contact staff.
Depending on the type of event, where it will be held, the number of guests/participants, or other factors, a permit from the City may be required.
What type of event permit do I need?
- If you are planning to have a party in a residential zone, you may need a Special Event Permit.
- If you are planning to have an event in a non-residential zone, you may need a Temporary Use Permit
- If any portion of your event is on a public roadway, you may need an Encroachment Permit for a Special Event on Public Propertyfrom the City’s Public Works Department
- Review the Requirements for Recycling and Disposal Plan and post-event report
- Public Beaches - If you would like to have an event on a public beach (e.g., Zuma Beach, Point Dume Beach, Surfrider Beach), you will not require a permit from the City of Malibu. Instead, contact the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors at 424-526-7880.
How do I know if an event is permitted?
Weekly, the City posts the Event Permit Report, which lists permitted and pending event permit applications.
Should you have a concern regarding an event, during regular business hours, contact the Planning Department at 310-456-2489, ext. 233 or ext. 485. For assistance after hours or on weekends, contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at 310-456-6652 or 818-878-1808.
Sign Up for E-notifications
To sign up to receive an e-notification email or text message when an updated Event Permit Report is posted on the City website, visit subscribe for e-notifications and select the Special Event Permit Report category.