Malibu Library Speaker Series
Dr. BRITT WRAY
Discussing her book, Generation Dread
- Thursday, April 6, 5:00 PM at Pepperdine University, Elkins Auditorium
- RSVP online or call 310-456-6438
Climate crisis anxieties can cause us to burn out, give up, and question deeply personal decisions. Dr. Britt Wray presents practical tips and strategies to healthily and productively deal with our emotions, live with climate trauma, and strengthen our communities so we can combat climate change together.
Wray is a writer, broadcaster, and creator of the weekly climate newsletter, "Gen Dread," whose original research focuses on the mental health impacts of the climate crisis. She's a TED Resident and speaker and was a guest host of the CBC science show Quirks and Quarks as well as co-host of the BBC podcast Tomorrow's World. Her previous book, Rise of the Necrofauna was described as a "must read" by The Sunday Times, and The New Yorker called it one of the best books of the year. Wray has a PhD in Science Communication from the University of Copenhagen and is an advisor to the Good Energy Project for climate storytelling and the Climate Mental Health Network.
This event takes place on the campus of Pepperdine University. RSVPs are required. Directions and parking instructions will be available for registrants prior to the event.
The event is sponsored by the City of Malibu, Los Angles County Library, and Pepperdine Office of the Vice Provost and Center of Sustainability.
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Register for E-Notifications to get up to date information about the 2023 Malibu Library Speaker Series.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author David Grann
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben
- Astrophysicist Jessie Christiansen