Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Malibu Library Speaker Series: 2020
CALL TO THE WALL, poetry summit
SATURDAY, MARCH 28, 4:00 PM
Malibu CITY HALL
Join the City of Malibu Cultural Arts Commission, Malibu Library, and the Malibu Poet Laureate Committee at the 3rd annual Malibu Poetry Summit.
Enjoy an afternoon of poetry, music, and art. The headlining poet, Dr. David St. John, is an accomplished and award-winning poet who will take the audience on a beautiful literary journey. Other notable poets include Malibu Poet Laureate Ellen Reich and emerging student poets from Malibu Middle School and Malibu Elementary School. There will be a musical performance from DPAK, of the band Robot Nature, and student artwork influenced by Malibu artist Carla Bates. A reception will immediately follow the complimentary event.
About SHOWCASE: LOCAL AUTHOR SERIES
The Malibu Library Speaker Series, Showcase: Local Author Series, is a program of LA County Library and the City of Malibu that highlights Malibu’s literary talent. The program was developed in response to community feedback received during the Malibu Library Needs Assessment in 2018.
The series launched with two events in 2019. Each event will feature two authors participating on a panel discussion about their work and a reception with a book signing at the Malibu Library. The program continues in 2020 with four events throughout the year.
Showcase: Local AUTHORS Series 2020
Susan Goldman rubin & Ann Stalcup
WEDNESDAY, March 25, 7:00 PM
The 2020 series will kickoff on March 25 with Susan Goldman Rubin and Ann Stalcup.
Susan Goldman Rubin is the author of many biographies for young people. Her awards include an NCTE Orbis Pictus Honor Book and the California Reading Association’s Eureka! Honor. She will discuss many pieces of her work, including Give us the Vote! Over 200 Years of Fighting for the Ballot.
Ann Stalcup is an author and elementary school teacher. She grew up in England and moved to the United States in 1963. She has authored 18 children’s books and will discuss her work Leo Politi: Artist of the Angels.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben