Malibu Library Speaker Series
calling All Creatures: Poetry, Music, Dance, & Art on Saturday, May 14 at 4:00 PM
Malibu Poet Laureate Ann Buxie welcomes all to attend this year's poetry summit, Calling All Creatures. The event includes a variety of performances and visual art that celebrates all of earth's living things. Featured poets include Peter J. Harris, former Malibu Poet Laureate Ricardo Means Ybarra, Jolynn Regan, Robert Woodcock, and student poets. Music by A Call 2 Peace and dance by Ann Monahan and Senior tappers. Artwork will also be displayed by Malibu Elementary School 5th grade class and Malibu High School student photographers. An RSVP is not required to attend the event.
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
About SHOWCASE: LOCAL AUTHOR SERIES
The Malibu Library Speaker Series, Showcase: Local Author Series, is a program of LA County Library and the City of Malibu that highlights Malibu’s literary talent. The program was developed in response to community feedback received during the Malibu Library Needs Assessment in 2018.
The series launched with two events in 2019. Each event will feature two authors participating on a panel discussion about their work and a reception with a book signing at the Malibu Library. The program was cancelled in 2020-2021 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and will resume in Fiscal Year 2022-2023.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben
- Astrophysicist Jessie Christiansen