Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the County of Los Angeles Public Library, Malibu Branch, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors and notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Past notable speakers in the Library Speaker Series include: Best-selling author Jeannette Walls; famed civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred; climate change champion and author Bill McKibben; prolific comedy writer and director Tom Shadyac; author of the best-selling novel "Eat, Pray, Love" Elizabeth Gilbert; and award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey.
Next speaker: Eric Schlosser
Wednesday, September 5, 2018, 6:00 PM
“Nuclear Delusions,” an evening with author and journalist Eric Schlosser on Wednesday, September 5, at 6:00 PM at City Hall. The event features a screening of the 2016 film “The Bomb,” created by Kevin Ford, Smriti Keshari and Eric Schlosser, followed by a discussion with Schlosser. "The Bomb" combines cutting-edge imagery, art, film making and music to explore humankind’s collective denial about the apocalyptic risk that nuclear weapons pose. Schlosser’s best-selling books include Command and Control, Fast Food Nation, Chew on This and Reefer Madness.
The event is free, but RSVPs are required. RSVP online or call 310-456-6438.
Past Notable Speakers
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author