Special Event Permits

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you must obtain a Special Event Permit for your event. These rules apply only to events in residential zones. For non-residential zones, a Temporary Use Permit may be required.

  • Do you anticipate or are you prepared to accommodate 100 or more persons?
  • Will there be any of the following:
    • Admission fee?
    • Public advertising?
    • Rental of the house / facility / venue?
    • Promotion of a product?
    • Any actions intended to attract the media or paparazzi?

A Special Event Permit is also required if the event is being held at a location that is being rented for a period of 30 days or fewer (Short-Term Rental) and 15 or more people are anticipated to attend. (Malibu Municipal Code section 5.34.020 (C))

The Special Event Permit application must be submitted to the Planning Department Public Counter, No appointment is required, however, please contact staff in advance to ensure a staff member is available to assist you. Contact Planning staff at 310-456-2489, ext. 485.