Storm Preparation & Protection
Following a wildfire, soil conditions are known to produce rock and debris flows. Residents should monitor weather forecasts and local news agencies to ensure they are prepared for any possible rain and resulting mud slides. For the latest local weather forecasts, visit the National Weather Service (NWS) website at www.weather.gov and enter "Malibu" in the box in the upper left section of the page.
In preparation of expected rain, staff is clearing storm drains throughout the City and will continually monitor rainfall and stream flow for potential rockslides and mudslides, particularly in the heavily burned areas.
Motorists should allow extra time and be prepared for significant travel delays if road closures develop. Motorists should also be aware of rocks and other debris in the roads, particularly along PCH and canyon roads, and proceed with extreme caution.
Sandbags are available to Malibu residents at local Los Angeles County Fire Stations, while supplies last. You must live in the community or city where you are requesting sandbags. Proof of residency is required.
Plastic or plastic-based sandbags are banned in Malibu. Only first responders may use plastic sand bags for emergency purposes as needed to abate the emergency until other means of protection can be employed.
For additional information about how to prepare for possible mudslides or rockslides, view the City's Storm Preparation Guidelines.
LA County Department of Public Works also published a handbook on how to properly place sandbags and other debris-blocking materials.
- Sign up for traffic, emergency, weather and utility alerts by text or email: www.MalibuCity.org/news.
- All current alerts: www.MalibuCity.org/alerts
- Sign up for Disaster Notifications (used only during major disasters or evacuations): www.MalibuCity.org/DisasterNotifications
- Sign up for emergency, traffic and weather alerts from LA County Sheriff's Dept, Malibu/Lost Hills Station through Nixle: https://nixle.com/lasd---malibulost-hills-station-los-angeles-county-sheriff.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CityMalibu
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CityofMalibu
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cityofmalibu
- Nextdoor: https://nextdoor.com/agency-detail/ca/malibu/city-of-malibu
- Malibu Emergency and Traffic Phone Hotline (for those who do not have access to social media or the internet) - call 310-456-9982