Short-Term Rental Ordinances in Progress
Short-Term Rental (STR) Permits
For information regarding the City's existing STR permit program in effect, visit the STR Permit webpage.
HOSTED ORDINANCE (IN PROGRESS)
Updated 6/6/22 - The City’s Short-Term Rental Unit Hosted Ordinance, which requires the presence of an onsite host during short-term rentals, primary residency requirements and multifamily restrictions, is currently under review by the California Coastal Commission (CCC). City staff was notified that the CCC is leaning towards denying the City’s proposed Local Coastal Plan Amendment for the Short-Term Rental Unit Hosted Ordinance, but is willing to work with the City towards a mutually agreeable modification to the Local Coastal Program Amendment before the CCC considers it. On June 13, 2022, the City Council will discuss staff's summary of issues. The City Council staff report is available online.
On November 23, 2020, the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 472 (Hosted STR Ordinance) to establish provisions to regulate short-term rental of property citywide which include, but are not limited to, requiring the presence of an onsite host during short-term rentals, primary residency requirements and multifamily restrictions. On November 5, Council conducted the first reading of the Hosted Ordinance and adopted Resolution No. 20-51, amending Local Coastal Program (LCP) Land Use Plan (LUP) Chapter 5 accordingly. See the November 23 staff report and November 5 staff report for more information on the Hosted STR Ordinance. The Hosted STR Ordinance involves an LCP amendment and Zoning Text Amendment to the Malibu Municipal Code. The Hosted Ordinance regulations cannot go into effect until the LCPA is certified by the California Coastal Commission.
On September 8, 2021, the California Coastal Commission granted Coastal Commission staff a one-year extension to consider the City's LCP amendment. During the next few months, City staff will work with CCC staff on addressing any suggested modifications to ensure that an amendment is brought to a hearing in the near future. Prior to the hearing, a Notice of Public Hearing will be published in a local newspaper and a CCC staff report will be available on the CCC's website.
LCP AMENDMENT SUBMITTAL TO THE CALIFORNIA COASTAL COMMISSION & CORRESPONDENCE
- City's LCP Amendment Submittal to the Coastal Commission
- Acknowledgement Letter from Coastal Commission dated December 16, 2020
- Incomplete Letter from Coastal Commission dated January 13, 2021
- City's Response Letter dated April 7, 2021
- City's Letter dated April 13, 2021
- Incomplete Letter from Coastal Commission dated April 22, 2021
- City's Response Letter dated June 16, 2021
- Complete Letter from Coastal Commission dated June 30, 2021
COMMUNITY MEETINGS & PUBLIC INPUT
A detailed history of the both ordinances is provided in the Short-Term Rental Ordinance Staff Memorandum. The following documents also provide additional information:
- City Council (June 13, 2022) Staff Report
- California Coastal Commission (Sept 8, 2021) Staff Report
- City Council (November 23, 2020) Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 3A1)
- City Council (November 5, 2020) Agenda & Staff Report (See Items 4A and 4B)
- City Council (September 29, 2020) Agenda & Staff Report and Correspondence
- City Council (September 14, 2020) Agenda & Staff Report and Correspondence
- City Council (August 10, 2020) - ZTA No. 17-002 - Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 4C) and Correspondence
- Planning Commission (July 29, 2020) - LCPA No. 19-003 Agenda & Staff Report and Correspondence
- Planning Commission (March 30, 2020) Notice of Public Hearing - CANCELLED
- Meetings materials prior to 2020, can be located in OnBase.
- City Council (December 3, 2019)
- City Council (October 28, 2019) Item 5A
- Administration & Finance Subcommittee (October 3, 2019) Financial Analysis on Implications & Potential Impacts of a Ban on Short-Term Rentals
- City Council (September 26, 2018) Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 4B), Draft Ordinance No. 436 and Council’s Changes to Proposed Ordinance
- City Council (July 9, 2018) Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 4A), Proposed Ordinance, and Council’s Changes to Proposed Ordinance
- Planning Commission (May 7, 2018) Planning Commission Recommendations (Resolution No. 18-26), Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 5C) and Correspondence received by May 7, 2018
- City Council (March 26, 2018) Notice of Public Hearing (Hearing cancelled and item remanded back to the Planning Commission)
- Planning Commission Hearing (November 20, 2017) Staff Report and Draft Ordinance (Attachment 1)
- Zoning Revisions & Code Enforcement Subcommittee (May 23, 2017) Staff Report and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (October 10, 2016) Meeting Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 5B) and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (June 13, 2016) Staff Report
- City Council (February 8, 2016) Staff Report and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (November 9, 2015) Meeting Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 6B) and Meeting Minutes