Enhanced Watershed Management Program
The Los Angeles County Municipal Separate Stormwater System (MS4) Discharge Permit (Permit) allows permittees to develop programs that implement Permit requirements on a watershed-scale through customized strategies, control measures, and best management practices (BMPs). The City partnered with Los Angeles County Public Works and the Los Angeles County Flood Control District to develop an Enhanced Watershed Management Program (EWMP) for the North Santa Monica Bay Coastal Watersheds area, including a portion of the Malibu Creek Watershed within the City of Malibu limits.
Participation in a Watershed Management Program is voluntary and allows permittees to address the highest watershed priorities and various Permit requirements in an integrated manner, including complying with:
- Receiving Water Limitations Requirements
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Provisions
- Coordinated Integrated Monitoring Program implementation
As of August 2015, the project is under review by the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board.
Development of an EWMP allows flexibility to proactively design projects to protect local water bodies that are most suitable for the covered area. Collaboration builds on existing efforts for improved information, resource, and cost sharing. This approach allows comprehensive evaluation of opportunities to implement projects that address:
- Non-Stormwater Runoff Prevention
- Stormwater Runoff Retention
- Pollution Prevention
- Flood Control
- Water Supply
- Project Area Map - Shows the EWMP area for the North Santa Monica Bay Coastal Watersheds
- EWMP Stakeholder Meetings - Collaboration within the North Santa Monica Bay Coastal Watersheds agencies, as well as with the Regional Water Quality Control Board, other government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and the general public.
- Requirements of the Stormwater Permit - Final Waste Discharge Requirements for MS4 Discharges within the Coastal Watersheds of Los Angeles County
- Watershed Management Programs in the Los Angeles Region