Prepare for Submittal
Before you submit something to Planning or Building Safety staff, it is important to consult with all relevant departments and agencies to get an idea of all the items you may be required to submit. Find locations and hours. If you’re planning on rebuilding a home with the same (or similar) plans, this rebuild worksheet will help keep track of consultations and the information discussed during those visits. You may need to get approval from City Specialists and outside agencies for your project; view the Building Safety Plan Check Process for basic steps.
City Environmental Health
- If you plan on reusing an existing onsite wastewater treatment system (OWTS aka septic system), you must submit an OWTS Assessment from a City-Registered Practitioner certifying the functionality of the system.
- If you plan on modifying or enlarging the design of your building, you may need to upgrade the OWTS to meet current regulations.
- Post-Fire Information for Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems
- City-Registered Practitioners who can perform the inspections needed for permanent or temporary housing
- Environmental Health Review Process - flowchart and submittal requirements
- Foundation Feasibility Report for Fire Damaged Structures
- Foundation Reuse After the Woolsey Fire
- Geotechnical Review Process - flowchart and submittal requirements
Los Angeles County Fire Department
Los Angeles County Fire Department plan review and approval is required for the rebuilding of all destroyed structures. Public counter hours are Monday through Thursday 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM at 26600 Agoura Road, Suite 110, Calabasas 91302 or 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM at Malibu City Hall. Contact the Calabasas/Malibu Field Office at 818-880-0341.
Los Angeles County Fire: Forestry Division
Fuel Modification Plan Check Program staff approves landscape and irrigation plan for structures located in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones. The process of approval consists of reviewing aspects such as structure location and type of construction, topography, slope, amount and arrangement of vegetation and overall site settings. Any new structure greater than 120 square feet will need a fuel modification plan approved by the forester. Public Counter hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM at 26600 Agoura Road, Calabasas 91302. Contact the Calabasas/Malibu Office at 818-880-4518 with questions.
- View FAQs
- Submit Application Form with two copies of Landscape plans, one set of color photos, and Plan Notes on plan.
- Check with the Forestry Division about its Covenant and Agreement requirement.
Los Angeles County Waterworks
- If your potable water source is Los Angeles County Water District 29, please visit their office to obtain fire flow information and a Will Serve Letter which is required for Planning Approval. Public counter hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM and Friday 8:30 AM to 11:00 AM at 23533 Civic Center Way, Malibu 90265. Call 310-317-1388 for general information.
- If your potable water source is a well, you must submit an Application for Well Reuse to Los Angeles County Public Health, Drinking Water Program, before obtaining a permit from the City to reconnect the pump to a power source. For more information, visit the County's Drinking Water Program website.
- If your potable water source is a water tank, please review the County's guidelines to disinfect the tank.