Prepare for Submittal

Before you submit something to Planning or Building Safety staff, it is important to consult with all relevant departments and agencies to get an idea of all the items required for submittal. Find locations and hours. If you are rebuilding a home with the same (or similar) plans, this rebuild worksheet will help keep track of consultations and the information discussed during those visits. You may need approvals from City specialists and outside agencies - schedule an appointment with the Rebuild Coordinator for guidance through this process.

City Environmental Health

City Geology

CITY Public Works

  • Plan Check Information - information on requirements for grading and drainage plans, hydrology reports, local stormwater pollution prevention plan (construction phase), and stormwater management plan (post-construction)
  • Flood Vulnerability Maps
  • Public Counter Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Friday by appointment.

Los Angeles County Fire Department

Los Angeles County Fire Department plan review and approval is required for the rebuilding of all destroyed structures. During the building plan review process, a copy of an approved Fuel Modification site plan from the Forestry Division will be required before Fire Prevention Engineering will issue building plan approval. Public counter hours: Monday through Thursday, 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM at 26600 Agoura Road, Suite 110, Calabasas 91302. Contact the Calabasas/Malibu Field Office at 818-880-0341.

Los Angeles County Fire: Forestry Division

Fuel Modification Plan Check Program staff approves landscape and irrigation plan for structures located in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones. The process of approval consists of reviewing aspects such as structure location and type of construction, topography, slope, amount and arrangement of vegetation and overall site settings. A fuel modification plan, approved by the Forestry Division, is required prior to receiving Fire Department building plan approval. Contact Forestry Division staff at or 626-969-5205 with questions.

  • View FAQs
  • Submit Application Form with two copies of Landscape plans, one set of color photos, and  Plan Notes on plan.
  • Check with the Forestry Division about its Covenant and Agreement requirement.

Los Angeles County Waterworks

  • For Los Angeles County Water District 29 customers, visit the office to obtain fire flow information and a Will Serve Letter which is required for Planning Approval. Public counter hours:  Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM (closed Fridays) at 23533 Civic Center Way, Malibu 90265. Call 310-317-1388 or 877-637-3661 for information.
  • If your potable water source is a well, you must submit an Application for Well Reuse to Los Angeles County Public Health, Drinking Water Program, before obtaining a permit from the City to reconnect the pump to a power source. For more information, visit the County’s Drinking Water Program website.
  • If your potable water source is a water tank, review the County’s guidelines on how to disinfect the tank.